Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Commentary - Interactive Props (Pokemon Y)

I want to turn this blog into Game Creation and Commentary, where Sid and I share art from projects we are working on, but also give our thoughts on game design. I think it will be really fun! If you guys have any suggestions or ideas, let us know in the comments below.
___________________________________________

Anyways, I wanted to start commenting on interacting with props. I'll pull an example from Route 14 in Pokémon X and Y. When first encountering this route, I noticed a playground! My heart raced with joy as I realized you could play on the equipment!

However....
I was sorely disappointed when I sat on the swing and nothing happened...

"Is this swing glued to the ground?"

You may think that allowing the player to swing is trivial and that I'm too picky of a player. But, I think it's the thought that counts. If players could swing, it would say that Game Freak goes the extra mile to put love into trivial details. I know there are big deadlines that prevent extra code, but it would be really fun to swing. The world would feel more alive and interactive.

Anyways, on a more positive note, at least you can ride down the slide!

"Time to go down the slide again!"
 
Thanks for reading! 
-Paige
 
 
Images courtesy of Let's Play Pokemon Y

No comments:

Post a Comment